Wednesday 15 January 2014

Teaching through soundtracks...

As I've mentioned before, music is a great way to stimulate ideas and generate discussion.  What's better than one musical number?  A whole medley of musical numbers!  Below is a medley of songs that I will use when my oldest students revisit Of Mice and Men' by Steinbeck, for their English Literature exam.  I have extracted the most applicable verse/chorus from each song and edited these together to provide one seamless soundtrack to the novel.  I will ask students to work out how the lyrics apply to the story:

Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?' by Bing Crosby
You've Got A Friend In Me' by Randy Newman
I'm Like A Bird' by Nelly Furtado 
Promiscuous' by Nelly Furtado
Black or White' by Michael Jackson
I Dreamed a Dream' from Les Miserables

This is an engaging way to get students into a piece of literature.  You could even ask them to create their own soundtracks.

What novel would you select and what would be on your soundtrack for it?  I'd love to hear (and possibly pinch) your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to write a comment.