Tuesday 15 July 2014

Rest, relaxation, reading...

We're all going on a summer holiday,
No more working for a week or two (or six),
Fun and laughter on our summer holiday,
No more worries for me or you,
For a week or two...'

~ Summer Holiday' by Cliff Richard

Special thanks to crooner Cliff for these timeless and apt lyrics. I am throwing items into suitcases as we speak and in the midst of packing chaos, I have taken a breather to share my holiday reading with you. The selection comprises a mixture of school-related books and books for simple reading pleasure (not to say the two don't overlap!).
The simple reading pleasures' include The Fault in Our Stars' (John Green), Divergent' (Veronica Roth), Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy' (Helen Fielding).

The school-related books are ones that I am reviewing in terms of how well they suit the new English Curriculum that has been introduced. These are: Two Weeks with the Queen' - play script, Animal Farm' (George Orwell), Forty short plays' (Ann Cartwright), Brave New World' (Aldous Huxley) and Whispers in the Graveyard' - the play.

I set all of my classes the task of reading at least three new books over the summer break. They have to write mini-reviews of each one on a Post-It note. They will stick these onto our Summer Reading board as soon as they return to school. I, of course, need to lead by example!

On that note, I must bid you a fond holiday farewell as I will be out of the country for a few weeks. The unreliability of internet connections abroad means there'll be a little blogging hiatus.

I wish you a happy holiday, however you choose to spend it.


2 comments:

  1. Writing reviews on post-it notes... I like that idea. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunshine + literature = very happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to write a comment.