Saturday 16 May 2015

Read the book first!

Films are something that youngsters and adults have in common so why not use this medium to encourage reading? That is what inspired this display in my classroom. Since we are in a brand new, purpose built school, there are restrictions about where we can stick things (understandably). For the sake of longevity and preservation, posters/displays cannot go straight on to bare walls so I've resorted to turning cupboards into canvases! Many students were surprised that some of these were adapted from books and I'm glad to say that others were inspired to read the book version, out of curiosity. It is a display that can be updated regularly, to reflect the most current releases. Someone once asked my why I didn't intersperse the posters with 'Read the book instead'. It's because I didn't want to give my display a 'lecture-ish' air or imply that watching the film was somehow a bad thing. Even if  youngsters are inspired to read the book after the film, the outcome is the same - they're reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to write a comment.