Monday 28 December 2015

Nutty about this roast!

Okay, so 4pm on Christmas day is not the best time to cook a dish for the first time (ready to be served at 6pm!). However, this was the situation I found myself in. Unbeknown to them, my converging relatives were the guinea pigs for a nut roast recipe that I had my eye on. It was my way of giving the vegetarians a mainstay, while the meat-eaters feasted on their bird. The ingredients involved an onion, grated carrot, a clove of garlic, brown rice, cheese, 2 eggs, sliced mushrooms, breadcrumbs, chopped mixed nuts, sage, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. The whole concoction was then packed tightly into a loaf tin and cooked for an hour (if you really want to brown it, keep it in longer). I'm delighted to say that the gamble paid off and my humble nut roast received no end of compliments. It was tasty, meaty and filling and the real seal of approval was people taking slabs of it home in doggy bags. I'll definitely be going back to this next year!
Before it headed to the oven...

The finished article...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to write a comment.