Thursday 26 June 2014

Letter to an Unknown Soldier...

Today I wanted to share a lovely activity that I did with my year 8 class. They contributed to a war memorial with a difference; one made purely of words. It centres on the statue of an unknown soldier in London's Paddington Station. Here is a screenshot from the website:


 I thought it was a very creative way of honouring and remembering fallen soldiers. The letters will be archived digitally soon but this is an activity that could be embedded in any schemes of work that touch on war. For example, I will be delivering a unit of work on conflict (classic and contemporary war poetry, articles, prose extracts, etc.) and this is an activity I will definitely incorporate.

My students had some stunning responses and with initiatives like this, we don't have to worry about youngsters forgetting the heroism of soldiers 100 years ago.

So give it a go and pen something for Unknown Soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy life to write a comment.